Popular posts

You Are What You Eat On Sunday, February 24, 2013

When I came up with the idea to do a "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" capstone, it was a little out there. My professor, Fr. Scalese, suggested I watch films like Run, Lola, Run and Sliding Doors to contemplate the non-linear story-telling, but even those films did not have the interactivity that I was planning. That's how I know that Hollywood is reading our brainwaves...
It seemed like as soon as I came up with the idea of doing something interactive, so did everybody else. Some of the interactive pieces that have since popped up include:
The Tipp-Ex "Hunter Shoots a Bear" YouTube campaign
The Tipp-Ex "Hunter and Bear 2012 Birthday Party," a year later
New Girl's on-line title sequence where the viewer chooses the theme of each segment
Hawaii Five-Oh's "Alternate Ending Vote" on January 14, 2013, where East Coast and West Coast viewers chose different endings for the same episode
The Coca-Cola 2013 SuperBowl ad, in which audience vote determined which group of 'heroes' reached the Coke first
Some of them have been really cool, some have been lambasted by the media, but I think giving viewers more power over what they see is starting to become a trend...

Oh, and speaking of people stealing my ideas, I totally came up with the idea of offering on-line viewers the choice of what cameras they want to view sporting events through regardless of which shot was currently being broadcast - about five years ago! Thanks, SuperBowl XLVII, for finally making it happen...

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments